First American Academy of Mechanics Conference
June 17–20, 2008
March 14, 2008The deadline for abstract submission has been extended to March 30, 2008. This will be the FINAL deadline. See the Important Dates page for adjusted deadlines.
March 3, 2008The deadline for abstract submission has been extended to March 15, 2008. See the Important Dates page for adjusted deadlines.
February 25, 2008The registration form has been posted to the Registration Page.
January 10, 2008The deadline for abstract submission is now February 29, 2008. See the Important Dates page for adjusted deadlines.
November 16, 2007More information and special room rates have been posted to the Accommodations page.
November 14, 2007More info about the plenary lectures and speaker photos have been added to the Plenary Lectures page.
October 29, 2007Please see the Important Dates page for revised deadlines.
September 28, 2007The technical program from June 17th to the 20th consists of 6 plenary lectures in the mornings; 15 keynote lectures in the afternoons; and 156 technical presentation sessions. International recognized leaders in diverse fields of mechanics were chosen as the plenary speakers:
- Gang Bao, Department of Biomedical Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, “Cellular and Molecular Biomechanics: New Opportunities and Challenges.”
- Tayfun Tezduyar, James F. Barbour Professor, Mechanical Engineering, Rice University, “Fluid-Structure Interaction Modeling in Arterial Fluid Mechanics.”
- Ted Belytschko, Walter P. Murphy Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Nortwesten University, “Loss of Ellipticity and Hyperbolicity in Spanning the Scales.”
- Jan Achenbach, Walter P. Murphy and Distinguished McCormick School Professor, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Northwestern University, “Structural Health Monitoring—Doctor's Orders.”
- John Willis, Department of Applied Mathematics and Theoretical Physics University of Cambridge, UK, “Gradient Plasticity From the Bottom Up and the Top Down”.
We have over 500 papers scheduled to be presented at this conference, and we anticipate having approximately 600 participants. Conference attendees will be representing universities and companies from around the country and from around the world.